Hagenauer Reserve is located in Box Hill in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
The original track at the venue was opened in 1969, with a synthetic track laid in 1992. At the time, this was the second synthetic track in Melbourne, after Olympic Park.
The track is home to Box Hill Athletics Club, who manage the venue. The venue regularly hosts Athletics Victoria Shield competition and has also hosted the Zatopek meet on occasions when Melbourne’s main athletics venue was being resurfaced – 2004 and 2019. The 2020 edition of the meet, delayed to Australia Day 2021 due to COVID-19, was also held at the venue.
The venue is establishing a reputation for being ‘the home of PBs’, with the venue being sheltered by surrounding trees in its suburban setting.
The track was voted Australia’s Favourite Track in 2021, defeating Queensland Sport & Athletics Centre, Sydney Olympic Park Athletics Centre and Lakeside Stadium.
- Notable PerformancesNotable Performances:
- 4 December 2004: Telstra Zatopek Classic, with Hayley McGregor (32:41.10) and David Ruschena (28:59.55) taking line honours.
- 14 December 2019: Zatopek:10 meet, highlighted by a national 10,000m record from Stewart McSweyn (27:23.80) and win by Genevieve Gregson (32:47.83).
- 26 January 2021: Zatopek:10 meet, highlighted by wins to Rose Davies (31:39.97) and Brett Robinson (28:00.25). Linden Hall ran 4:04.35 in the 1500m, while Jarryd Clifford broke the T12 world record running 3:42.97.
- 2 March 2021: Box Hill Burn meet, highlighted by an Australian 1000m record by Linden Hall (2:35.90), while Claudia Hollingsworth set an World Youth Best of 2:36.72. Stewart McSweyn clocked 13:05.87 in the 5000m while Isobel Batt-Doyle ran 15:11.07.
- 1 April 2021: Box Hill Classic meet, highlighted by Linden Hall becoming the first Australian woman to break four minutes for 1500m, in an Australian record 3:59.67. Jye Edwards took out the 1500m in 3:35.46.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- FacilitiesTrack Length: 400mNumber of lanes - circular: 8Number of Lanes - Straight: 10Water Jump: Yes - internalLong Jump Pits: 2High Jump Fans: 1Pole Vault Pits: 3Discus Circles: 1Shot Put Circles: 2Javelin Runways: 1Hammer Circles: 1Lighting: Yes
- Help Us
Help us improve the information about this track using the form on this page.
Do you know?
- Who is the venue named after?
- When the track was last resurfaced? With what product?
- If the track can be accessed by the public? At what hours?
- What seating is available at the venue?
- What parking is available near the track?
- Any other information of note?